Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Salary is the fundamental reason people work eight to five jobs. However, high salaries are always eye candy to new employees; the opposite is also true. This in turn guided the Local Government Unit (LGU) in the Philippines to adopt a salary guide system to entice new employees to work hard and reach their desired salary grade in 2022.
Table of contents
The Philippine Salary Grade For 2022
Salary grades distinguish a worker’s education level, responsibilities, and position in their specific field. The salary grade in the Philippines can range from 1, the lowest, to 33, which is the highest.
Salary Grade Table with the Minimum wage amounts for each level (Effective: January 1, 2022)
|Salary Grade||Minimum Monthly Salary|
All pay grades have 8 increments, except for the 33rd pay grade, which only has two. Salary Steps are determined by the amount of time a person has held a position. This concept implies that new hires will begin at Salary Step 1. After some time, workers’ pay will increase every three years as long as they consistently give their best effort.
A Notice of Step Increment will inform employees who have completed their three years. As long as the employee keeps on doing a great job, not only will they get a salary step, they might even get a promotion and increase their salary grade! They will, of course, have to start again at the first salary step in their new pay grade.
Here is a salary grade table that includes salary steps:
Salary grade 2022 table (Effective: January 1, 2022)
|Salary Grade||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4||Step 5||Step 6||Step 7||Step 8|
LGU Salary Grade in the Philippines in 2022
The Philippines has a vast network of smaller local governments that assists in implementing laws and projects of the national government. They work as an extension of the government’s power amongst the people. The LGUs also have some autonomy to cater to the nation’s rapid development.
The following are what forms the Head of the Local Government Unit and their respective salary grade:
- Provincial Governor – SG 30
- Provincial Vice-Governor – SG 28
- Sangguniang Panlalawigan Member – SG 27
- City Mayor – SG 30
- Municipal Mayor – SG 30
- City Vice Mayor – SG 26 to 28
- Municipal Vice Mayor – SG 25 to 26
- Sangguniang Panglungsod Member – SG 25 to 27
- Sangguniang Bayan Member – SG 24 to 25
- Provincial Government Department Head – SG 26
- Provincial Government Assistant Department Head – SG 24
- City Government Department Head – SG 25 to 27
- City Government Office Head – SG 26
- City Government Assistant Department Head – SG 23 to 25
- Municipal Government Department Head – SG 24 to 25
- Municipal Government Assistant Department Head – SG 22 to 23
There are also different salary grades for personal assistant positions such as private secretaries and drivers.
- Provincial Governor, City and Municipal Mayor Personal Secretary – SG 15
- Provincial Vice Governor, City and Municipal Vice Mayor Personal Secretary – SG 11
- Provincial Governor, City and Municipal Mayor Personal Driver – SG 4
- Provincial Vice Governor, City and Municipal Vice Mayor Personal Driver – SG 3
These are the salary grades for most positions at the top of the Local Government Units. As we go down the ladder, the respective salary grade decreases, together with the amount of responsibility they bear.
These base rates could go up to a maximum equivalent to the first step of the following salary grade undertaken by the municipality or a city where the barangay belongs.
- Barangay Captain – SG 14;
- Sangguniang Barangay Members, Secretary, Treasurer – SG 10;
- SK Chairman – SG 10;
The Punong Barangay representatives and the Sangguniang Kabataan Chairman’s representatives are also entitled to receive reimbursement for reasonable travel and incidental expenses. In addition, the SK chairman will receive P600 and the Punong Barangay P1,000 monthly.
Depending on the barangay government’s judgment and in consideration of its service requirement and the 55 percent limitation on personal services appropriation, other positions may be created and paid at rates not exceeding SG 1
- Utility Worker/Administrative Aide I – SG 1
- Clerk/Administrative Aide III – SG 3
- Accounting Clerk/Administrative Aide IV – SG 4
- Administrative Assistant – SG 8
What affects the Salary Grade of each LGU in the Philippines in 2022?
Each LGU has a special designation based on its income classification. LGUs in the first and Special Classification receive 100% salary rates compared to those in the 2nd classification and below.
LGU workers receive a percentage of their salary grade depending on their Income Classification, as listed below.
- Salary Grade for Provinces and Cities
|Income Classification||Percentage of salary|
- Salary Grade For Municipalities
If you wish to work for the government, one crucial requirement is to pass the Civil Service Exam. The CSE will evaluate whether you are fit to work in the government.
That is all for the 2022 salary grade of the LGU employees in the Philippines! For more salary grade info, check out this page: Salary Grade. – WhatALife!