Home How to Correct Name in Birth Certificate (All You Need to Know!)

How to Correct Name in Birth Certificate (All You Need to Know!)

how to correct name in birth certificate all you need to know

Your name is vital to your identity; it defines and sets you apart. From passport applications to job interviews, this document plays a vital role to our life. However, what if your name is misspelled, your birth date is incorrect  or other errors that practically render it useless? Here’s how to apply and change your name in your birth certificate in the Philippines.

What is Republic Act 9048? 

If you need to apply for a correction of entry in your birth certificate, understanding the provisions of RA 9048 and the procedures involved is essential. RA 9048 allows the civil registrar to correct clerical or typographical errors in the petitioner’s birth certificate without needing a judicial proceeding.

5 Corrections Allowed Under RA 9048 

RA 10172 allows civil registrars to correct harmless clerical errors in birth dates or sex without court filing, keeping the petitioner’s status the same. 

The civil registrar can change or correct entries in the birth certificate in the following instances. 

  • Correction of misspelled first or last name (Last name is BLURRY or cannot be read, Last name is MISSPELLED, No Last Name)
  • Correction of misspelled middle name
  • Correction of misspelled birthplace
  • Correction of a mistake in the day or month of birth
  • Correction of sex 
  • Change of first name or nickname
  • Your first name or nickname is ridiculous, tainted with dishonor, or complicated to write or pronounce
  • You habitually use your new name and are publicly known by that name in the community
  • The change will avoid confusion

If your PSA birth certificate’s last name is blurred, misspelled, or missing, correct it immediately. If you need to know how to correct name in birth certificate , it’s important to understand the procedures outlined by the PSA or follow the appropriate legal channels as per relevant laws and regulations.

Note: Regarding the change of first name or nickname, you can’t file for a petition just because you want to.

Who May File a Petition for Correction of Clerical Error? 

Individuals with a personal interest in correcting clerical or typographical errors in the civil register can file a verified petition, which can only be filed once and can be filed at the local civil registry office or the nearest Philippine Consulate. To correct a mistake on a birth certificate, you usually need to submit a petition and required documents.

The following may file the petition:

  • The owner of the PSA certificate
  • PSA
  • Spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Designated guardians
  • Any other person duly authorized by law.
  • If the owner of the PSA certificate is a minor, physically or mentally incapacitated, the petition may be filed by any of those mentioned above as well.

The petition may be filed at the Local Civil Registry office, where the birth certificate is registered. If the owner of the PSA certificate no longer resides in that area, he may file it at the LCR of the city or municipality where he is presently living.

Based on the list published by the PSA on their website, the following documents must be presented as supporting documents when filing a Petition under R.A. 9048:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the correction of entry in birth certificate.
  • Not less than two private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voter’s affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants.
  • Notice/Certificate of Posting
  • Filing fee: PHP 1,000.00
  • Other documents that may be required by the LCR.

What is a Supplemental Report?

A Supplemental Report is a written instrument used to supply information in a birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, and certificate of fetal death that were omitted when the document was registered.

The petitioner will be asked to explain why there was a failure to supply the required entry.

The following may file the petition:

  • Owner of the record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document.
  • A petition for a PSA certificate can be filed by a guardian if the owner is a minor or incapacitated.

The Supplemental Report for a birth certificate can be filed at the registered office, the current city or municipality, or the Philippine Consulate. The report must be endorsed to the Department of Foreign Affairs if the owner was born abroad.

Examination of the Petition Documents 

Upon receiving your documents, the civil registrar or consul general will evaluate your petition and the supporting papers. If the affidavit passes the required format and contents, the office will post the petition publicly for ten consecutive days. After the posting and publication requirements have been complied with, the office will decide if your petition is granted. 

Note: This usually takes five working days.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How much does it cost to change your name Philippines?

The fee varies depending on the correction required:

  •  Correction of clerical or typographical errors: PHP 1,000
  • Change of first name or nickname: PHP 3,000

For consular filings:

  • Correction of clerical or typographical errors: PHP 2,000
  • Change of first name or nickname: PHP 8,000

Can I change my name in birth certificate Philippines?

Yes, you can. Before RA 9048, you needed a court petition. Now, you can file a petition for these changes and corrections without securing a judicial order, thanks to RA 9048 and RA 10172.

How much does it cost to change a letter in your name in the Philippines?

The city registrar or consul general will charge a fee for processing the petition. Here are the current rates: P1,000 – for name correction in birth certificate of clerical or typographical errors. P3,000 – for change of first name or nickname.

Final Thoughts

Changing your name on your birth certificate in the Philippines is a strict process. It is governed by Republic Act 9048 and its amendments. This law allows for name changes without court involvement through paperwork submission, fee payment, and publication requirements.

Understanding these rules is important. The fees vary depending on the change needed, but there are exemptions for those who can’t afford it. Whether you go in person or use an online service like PSAHelpline.ph, getting your name right on your birth certificate is crucial for official purposes.


Also Read:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *