Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
The Land Transportation Office of the Philippines is responsible for all the land vehicles that travel on its roads. They implement new rules and oversee that motorists correctly follow new regulations. With that said, let’s look at LTOs new Restriction Code this 2023.
Disclaimer: WhatALife! is not in any way affiliated with LTO. The information posted in this page is sourced from the official LTO website (lto.gov.ph).
New Driver’s License Format
The LTO created this new format to correctly display what vehicles can be operated in great detail by the drivers. It’s done by categorizing the vehicles by weight and their respective forms of transmission.
LTO Restriction Codes 2023
Drivers are also classified on what vehicle they can operate by the weight of the vehicle they can drive. The following list is the classification code for drivers and the vehicles they can operate:
A – Motorcycles
License holders with DL Code A can drive the following Vehicle Category Codes:
- L1: Two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph
- L2: Three-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph
- L3: Two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph
A1 – Tricycles
License holders with DL Code A1 can drive the following Vehicle Category Codes:
- L4: Motorcycle with sidecar with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph
- L5: Three-wheeled symmetrically arranged vehicles with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph
- L6: Four-wheeled vehicles with unladen mass not more than 350 kg with a maximum design speed not exceeding 45 kph
- L7: Four-wheeled vehicles with unladen mass not more than 550 kg with a maximum design speed not exceeding 45 kph
B – Passenger Car
The Vehicle Category Code under B is:
- M1: Vehicles with fewer than eight seats and Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) not exceeding 5000 kg.
B1– Passenger Van or Jeepney
The Vehicle Category Code under B1 is:
- M2: Passenger vehicles with more than eight seats and GVW of less than 5000 kg.
B2 – Light Commercial Vehicle
The Vehicle Category code under B2 is:
- N1: Vehicles used for the carriage of goods, with a maximum GVW not exceeding 3500 kg.
C – Heavy Commercial Vehicle
There are two Vehicle Category codes under this DL Code:
- N2: Vehicles used for the carriage of goods, with maximum GVW exceeding 3500 kg but less than 12000 kg.
- N3: Vehicles used for the carriage of goods, with maximum GVW exceeding 12000 kg.
D – Passenger Bus
There’s only one Vehicle Category code under DL Code D:
- M3: Vehicles with more than eight seats and a maximum GVW of more than 5000 kg.
BE – Light Articulated Vehicle
The Vehicle Categories under this DL Code are:
- O1: Articulated vehicles with GVW less than 750 kg
- O2: Articulated vehicles with GVW not exceeding 3500 kg
CE – Heavy Articulated Vehicle
The Vehicle Categories under this DL Code are
- O3: Articulated vehicles with GVW exceeding 3500 kg but less than 10000 kg
- O4: Articulated vehicles with GVW exceeding 10000 kg
The following words and abbreviations are used repeatedly in the list:
- GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) – Vehicle Weight at maximum load
- Unladen Vehicle Mass – Vehicle Weight without any additional cargo (this includes passengers and the driver.)
- Articulated Vehicle – A Vehicle with a permanent or semi-permanent joint in its construction. E.g., 10-wheeler/trailer trucks.
LTO Driver’s License Classification
New Codes For Drivers With Medical Conditions
These restrictions are placed to prevent people without proper knowledge and experience from driving vehicles that might endanger themselves, pedestrians and other motorists around them.
Follow these codes and restrictions to prevent the revocation of your driving license and heavy fines that the Land Transportation Office might impose upon violation. – WhatALife!/Vaughn
Sources: (1), (2), (3), (4), (5)
Also read: How to renew LTO Driver’s License in 2022?
Leave a Reply