Wondering how to renew your LTO driver’s license in 2022? Here’s an updated guide just for you for LTO in-person or online driver’s license renewal processes.
In compliance with Republic Act (RA) No. 10930, which updated the Land Transportation and Traffic Code, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) is now issuing ten (10) year driver’s licenses.
Section 3 of RA 10930 mandates that the LTO conducts examinations of applicants for new driver’s licenses, including those renewing expired ones and issuing a ten-year driver’s license.
Table of contents
- Who is eligible for a ten-year license?
- Requirements for the Renewal of a Driver’s License
- What exactly is Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE)?
- Where to take the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE)?
- How to Obtain a Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) Certificate?
- How much is the LTO Driver’s License Renewal Fee?
- How To Renew LTO Driver’s License (WALK-IN)
- How to Renew LTO Driver’s License ONLINE:
Who is eligible for a ten-year license?
To be issued a driver’s license with 10-year validity, you must not have incurred any traffic violations throughout the validity period of your existing license. That means there will be no tickets or penalties.
Only drivers with at least one demerit point will be eligible for a driver’s license with a five-year validity period.
Furthermore, you must complete the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) seminar at any Driver’s Education Center, LTO-accredited driving school, or the LTO’s Land Transportation Management System (LTMS) to obtain a 10-year valid license.
Requirements for the Renewal of a Driver’s License
- Accomplished Application Form for Driver’s License (ADL)
- Original driver’s license (Non-Professional or Professional).
- Original and photocopy of any government-issued ID with photo and Applicant Signature
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number or TIN (if you’re employed)
- Medical examination certificate
- For holders of driver’s licenses that have expired for over 2 years: Certificates attesting to your passing the theoretical and practical driving tests.
- Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) Certificate to show that you attended the required number of hours of the seminar and completed the LTO or any LTO-accredited driving school/training center’s relevant validation exam.
What exactly is Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE)?
In the Philippines, a new requirement for renewing a professional or non-professional driver’s license is the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) certificate.
A 5-hour training session or seminar on traffic rules and regulations and a 25-item obligatory exam make up the CDE. To receive the CDE certificate, which is needed before renewing your driver’s license, you must pass the exam.
Where to take the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE)?
Any LTO Driver’s Education Center or LTO-accredited driving school can provide you with a Comprehensive Driver’s Education.
How to Obtain a Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) Certificate?
- Complete the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) seminar
The CDE is available in two ways: offline and online.
To take the CDE course offline, visit an LTO Driver’s Education Center or an LTO-accredited driving school and sit through a five-hour visual presentation.
You can also complete the CDE course online using the LTO online portal or the LTMS. The course resources, such as audio-visual presentations and reading materials, can be accessed without creating an account. However, it is highly recommended that you make one since you won’t take the validating online exam without it.
The following topics are covered in the CDE learning materials:
- Road Safety
- Road Traffic Rules
- Special Laws (e.g., Traffic and Administrative Rules, Violations, Fines, and Penalties with Demerit Points)
- Special Laws, Motorcycle (MC), and Tricycle (TC)
- Other Regulations (e.g., Passengers and Cargoes, Common Violations and Tips)
- General Information
- Take the CDE Validating Exam
The CDE validating exam can be done in person at the LTO Driver’s Education Center in select offices or online via the LTMS.
To pass the exam, you must receive at least 13 accurate answers out of 25 questions (50 percent rating) whether you’re renewing a professional or non-professional driver’s license. The exam consists primarily of multiple-choice questions. Furthermore, the exam has no time limit and can be retaken right away if you do not pass it.
How much is the LTO Driver’s License Renewal Fee?
- 589 pesos – License Fee (Pro & Non-Pro)
- 75 pesos – Penalty Fee for one (1) day to one (1) year expired
- 150 pesos – Penalty Fee for more than one (1) year to two (2) years expired
- 225 pesos – Penalty Fee for more than two (2) years expired (re-exam)
- 68 pesos – Computer Fee
- 100 pesos – Application Fee (for more than two years expired)
- 67.63 pesos – Additional Computer Fee (for more than two years expired)
Fees for a Dormant License (Pro & Non-Pro)
If a driver’s license hasn’t been renewed in more than two years, it becomes dormant.
- Application Fee – 100 pesos
- Computer Fee – 67.63 pesos
- License Fee – 585 pesos
- Penalty – 225 pesos
- Additional Computer Fee – 67.63 pesos
Renewal Fees for LTO Student Driver’s Permits.
- 100 pesos – Application Fee
- 150 pesos – License Renewal Fee
- 50 pesos – Penalty Fee for one (1) day to one (1) year expired
- 100 pesos – Penalty Fee for more than one (1) year to two (2) years expired
- 150 pesos – Penalty Fee for more than two (2) years expired
You can pick up your new driver’s license at any 24 LTO locations across the country after completing the online renewal process and paying the applicable fees. In addition, a courier service will soon be accessible, removing the need for face-to-face interactions entirely.
How To Renew LTO Driver’s License (WALK-IN)
If you prefer a walk-in application or the online portal is down for maintenance or unavailable, here’s how you can renew your LTO Driver’s License in person:
- Provide a CDE Certificate and bring an LTO Client ID before visiting the LTO office. The LTO Client ID serves as verification that you’ve already signed up for the LTMS Public Portal.
- Go to the LTO office or license facility closest to you. Choose LTO renewal offices in chosen malls that are less busy for faster transactions.
- Submit all relevant documentation to personnel.
- You will be provided the license details to confirm whether all of the information is still right or if any changes should be made. If no changes are required, you can move on to the next phase.
- Pay the cashier, then proceed to the encoding section for your photos, biometrics, and digital signature.
- Write your name and sign the Release Form to get your expired card and Pro/Non-Pro Driver’s License Card.
How to Renew LTO Driver’s License ONLINE:
Driver’s license renewal can now be done online through LTO Land Transportation Management System (LTMS).
To register for an LTMS account, you need all relevant documentation (including the CDE certificate).
LTO driver’s license online renewal process in 2022:
- Log in to the Land Transportation Management System (LTMS) website. Enter your account email address/LTO client number and password to access your LTMS account.
- In the LTMS dashboard, go to Licensing. If you’ve just made an LTMS account, selecting Licensing will take you to a form where you need to fill out the needed information to finish your profile. After completing the form, you will be directed to the dashboard, with a message on the right side of your screen indicating that your profile has been saved. To continue, simply click Licensing on the dashboard again.
- Select Driver’s License as the License Classification on the Online Application form. You must first produce a medical certificate before proceeding with the renewal process, so don’t click the Next button just yet.
- Select Add Medical Certificate from the drop-down menu. You will be prompted to input your Medical Certificate Number after selecting this button. After you’ve entered all of the needed information, click Verify.
- Choose Renewal as the application type. To proceed, click the Next button.
- Choose your preferred appointment time and LTO location.
- Pay the renewal costs using your preferred method of payment.
Even if you completed your driver’s license renewal application online, it is mandatory to personally claim your license on your scheduled appointment date. Therefore, make sure you bring all of the essential documents to your appointment and show them to the LTO.