MANILA, PHILIPPINES — Starting today, March 6, 2023, at least 100,000 jeepney operators and drivers nationwide prompted local governments to offer free rides to commuters and some schools to shift to online classes. The transport strikes around the country are demanding that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. stop the planned phaseout of traditional jeepneys.
The transport strike, with participants in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Bicol Region, and Cagayan de Oro, will start on March 6 at 7 am and will last until March 12.
Malacañang attempted to minimize the impact of the demonstration, saying that “there is no disruption except in a handful of routes” in the area. Nevertheless, a transport organization leading the ongoing week-long strike said Monday morning that certain lines in Metro Manila had been blocked.
Transport strike by PISTON paralyzes jeepney routes in Metro Manila
Transport group PISTON has reported that a transport strike has paralyzed some jeepney routes in Metro Manila, causing disruption to commuters on affected routes.
The strike was organized in protest of the government’s decision to phase out old jeepneys, which PISTON argues will lead to the displacement of thousands of drivers and operators.
According to PISTON, the majority of jeepneys and UV Express services are not making trips along routes such as Baclaran Metrobank, Novaliches-Blumentritt, Pasay, Palapala-Imus, Los Baños-Calamba, Calamba, Cabuyao, Antipolo and Junction Crossing, and Cogeo-Cubao, with some routes experiencing as high as 95% reduction in trips.
But, only 10% of the routes in Metro Manila were reportedly disrupted by the strike, according to Joel Bolano, technical division chief of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulation Board (LTFRB). Free rides were also allegedly supplied by the government to solve this.
Aside from Metro Manila, only Calabarzon is experiencing some disruption in transportation services while normal operations continue in the rest of the country, Bolano said.
Malacañang stated that public utility vehicles are operating normally nationally. It added that the administration has given commuters affected by the strike free transportation. –WhatALife!/Jayve