“We have Kagay-anons that came from Manila and we should watch out for that.”
The Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC) urged newly recovered COVID-19 patients to undergo testing for possible convalescent plasma extraction following the rise of cases in the National Capital Region (NCR).
“We extracted two units of convalescent plasma and sent them to Cardinal Santos Medical Center (in San Juan City, Metro Manila) last week. We have five more still waiting that passed (our screening should they still need more) depending on their titers (amount of antibodies found in patient’s blood),” said NMMC liaison officer Dr. Bernard Julius Rocha during March 22 City Hall press briefing.
Dr. Rocha aired NMMC’s appeal as Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal in the National Capital Region recorded the bulk of the 8,000 plus COVID-19 cases in March 22, a new high after the country recorded more than 7,000 COVID-19 cases for four straight days. Among the factors cited for the rise in cases are the confirmed presence of new COVID-19 variants in NCR.
“While we at NMMC (don’t need the convalescent plasma yet), it’s Manila and NCR that need the plasma most due to their increase in cases. So we are calling on the patients who recovered from COVID-19 to call our teleconsultation numbers (on our Facebook page) if you’re willing to undergo screening and testing (for possible blood extraction),” Dr. Rocha said.
He assured eligble donors will be guided accordingly. Testing and extraction will also be done free of charge. “We don’t sell the convalescent plasma and we are responsible for delivering it to the hospitals in Manila who need it the most,” Dr. Rocha said.
Plasma from recovered patients are said to contain antibodies that may help suppress and modify the severe COVID-19 symptoms.
The NMMC’s call came as Cagayan de Oro City Hall voiced concern over the rise in COVID-19 cases in the NCR.
“We have Kagay-anons that came from Manila and we should watch out for that. We cannot afford to be negligent and allow them to gather anywhere in the city,” said City Health Office (CHO) resident epidemiologist Dr. Teodulfo Joselito Retuya Jr.
Cagayan de Oro City has so far recorded a decline in daily COVID-19 cases in the past few weeks, with the city recording 23 cases last Saturday and Sunday (March 20-21).
“We are happy with the vigilance of our barangays in monitoring and reporting new arrivals in their communities and working closely with the CHO in extracting anyone who displays symptoms of COVID-19,” Dr. Retuya said.
Both Dr. Retuya and Dr. Rocha credited the decline in cases to the daily appeals made by local officials on the populace to strictly comply with minimum public health protocols. “While the government is implementing the vaccination, the public should do their part by strictly complying with minimum public health protocols,” Dr. Retuya said.
Source: City Information Office
Leave a Reply