Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
The Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card Registration Act was signed by President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on October 9, 2022. The new law is in response to the rampant scam messages many Filipinos fall victim to. But, under this new law, how do you register your SIM Card in the Philippines? This blog will detail what we know so far, including registration links.
Table of contents
- When will SIM Card registration start?
- How to register your SIM Card in the Philippines (registration links, deadlines, etc.)?
- What are the requirements to register your SIM Card in the Philippines?
- What are the penalties for false information and fraudulent IDs used for registration?
When will SIM Card registration start?
All existing SIM Subscribers must register with their respective Public Telecommunication Entity (PTE) within 180 days of the law’s effectivity.
The Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the SIM Registration Act is released on December 12, 2022. This is followed by the law’s effectivity and start of registration on December 27, 2022 and will end on April 26, 2023.
However, the law also allowed DICT to extend the registration for a period not exceeding 120 days. Filipinos who failed to register within the set period may still apply for registration until July 2023. (This information is subject to change. Please standby for updates.)
Failure to register your SIM card within the allotted period will result in automatic deactivation.
Starting December 27, 2022, new SIMs will be sold in “deactivated mode.” Additionally, other than regular SIMs, embedded SIMs, broadband modem, and internet-of-things devices must also be registered.
How to register your SIM Card in the Philippines (registration links, deadlines, etc.)?
To register your SIM Card, you must duly accomplish a control-numbered electronic registration form which requires your full name, date of birth, sex, and address.
The form will also ask for the assigned SIM number.
In addition, the form may be found on a platform or website of respective PTEs, where users must declare that the documents presented are true and correct and that they are the same person who accomplished the form.
Below are the SIM Card Registration links for differenct Telecommunication Companies:
- GLOBE/TM – https://new.globe.com.ph/simreg (See guide for Globe SIM registration here.)
- SMART/TNT/SUN CELLULAR – https://smart.com.ph/simreg (See guide for Smart SIM registration here.)
- DITO – via DITO APP (See guide for DITO SIM registration here.)
What are the requirements to register your SIM Card in the Philippines?
To verify the identity of the end-user, they are required to present valid government-issued identification cards or documents with their photograph.
This includes the following:
- Philippine Identification, Social Security Service ID,
- Government Service Insurance System e-Card,
- driver’s license,
- National Bureau of Investigation clearance,
- police clearance,
- Firearms’ License to Own and Possess ID,
- Professional Regulation Commission ID,
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines ID,
- Overseas Workers Welfare Administration ID,
- Bureau of Internal Revenue ID,
- voter’s ID,
- senior citizen’s card,
- Unified Multi-purpose Identification Card,
- Person with Disabilities card; other government-issued ID with photo
SIM Card Registration for Minors
A SIM may be registered for minors, but it shall be under the name of their parents/guardians who gave their consent and are also registered.
SIM Card Registration for Foreign Nationals and Tourists
Foreign nationals staying as tourists for less than 30 days must register their name, nationality, passport number, and address in the Philippines.
Tourists must present their passport, proof of address in the Philippines, as well as return ticket to their own country or any other ticket, which shows the date and time of their departure from the Philippines.
For foreign nationals with other types of visas and staying for more than 30 days, they are required to present the following:
- proof of address in the Philippines,
- Alien Employment Permit issued by the Department of Labor and Employment,
- Alien Certificate of Registration ID,
- school registration ID for students; or other pertinent documents.
Their registered SIMs are only valid for 30 days and shall be automatically deactivated upon expiration of validity.
SIM Card Registration for Corporations
Corporations may also register a SIM needed for their day-to-day business.
The following are their requirements:
- certificate of registration
- a duly-adopted resolution designating their duly-authorized representative,
- special power of attorney for the registration of SIM of other juridical entities
SIM Card Registration for Postpaid Suscribers
Since telcos already have the data they need of postpaid subscribers, users are only required to confirm their information needed in the SIM registration through the telco’s platform or website.
SIM Card Registration in Remote Areas
For those in remote areas with limited internet connectivity, the DICT, NTC, DILG, and DepEd, including telcos, will help in SIM Registration. Please be updated of the topic in your local areas.
You may also read: Smart Communications Inc. set up SIM card registration booths at SM Malls
What are the penalties for false information and fraudulent IDs used for registration?
The law states that those who provide false information or use fraudulent IDs during registration will face the penalty of imprisonment from six months to two years plus a fine of up to Php 300,000.
Those who spoof a registered SIM or sell a stolen SIM will face the same punishment.
The sale or transfer of a registered SIM without compliance with the required registration process will also face penalties, including imprisonment and fines.
To find out more about the SIM Card Registration Act, check out the following guides:
- How to Register SIM Card in the Philippines?
- GUIDE: How to Register your Globe SIM for the SIM Card Registration Act?
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: Globe SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration Act
- GUIDE: How to Register your Smart SIM for the SIM Card Registration Act?
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: Smart SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration
- GUIDE: How to Register your DITO SIM for the SIM Card Registration Act?
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: DITO SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration Act
- GUIDE: How to Register your TM SIM for the SIM Card Registration Act?
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: TM SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration Act
- GUIDE: How to Register your TNT SIM for the SIM Card Registration Act?
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: TNT SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE: Sun Cellular SIM Card Registration for the SIM Card Registration
Also read: Senate approves SIM Registration bill on third and final reading
Leave a Reply