As rescuers dug more victims from the mud on Sunday, February 11, the provincial government announced that the Davao de Oro landslide death toll had increased to 54.
On February 6, a landslide near a gold mine in Maco town, Davao de Oro province, occurred, burying houses and cars transporting workers to the Apex Mining site.
The province government of Davao de Oro said on Facebook that 54 persons had perished in the landslide, increasing the number of fatalities from 37 earlier in the day when rescue personnel discovered additional dead.
There were 63 people on the list of missing persons; the provincial government claims that the number is still pending verification. A total of 32 persons were injured in the landslide.
More than 300 individuals were involved in the rescue, according to Edward Macapili, a Davao de Oro official, but activities were complicated by the intense rain, the dense muck, and the
Rescue work resumed on Sunday morning, Macapili said. Asked if there were still survivors, he said it was already “unlikely”, but the search would continue.”The rescue team is doing its best, even if it’s very difficult.”
An 8.9-hectare (22-acre) portion of the Masara hamlet was buried as rocks, mud, and trees tumbled down a steep mountainside close to the Apex Mining Co concession, plunging more than 700 meters (2,300 feet).
In what rescuers called a “miracle,” a three-year-old child was retrieved alive from under the debris on Friday.
According to disaster response personnel, over 1,100 households have been relocated to evacuation facilities for their protection.
For weeks, the southern region has been battered by rain, resulting in several landslides and floods that have sent tens of thousands of people into temporary shelters.
Davao de Oro has seen intense rains in recent weeks, which have caused landslides and flooding.
A few hours later, on February 9 morning, EastMinCom announced that forty-five individuals had.
Keep Reading: Mindanao earthquake strikes Surigao and Agusan del Sur