iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022 has ended. The flagship event of Google Developer Student Clubs USTP successfully ran from February 5 until March 5. The month-long event encouraged innovative and creative minds of various Trailblazers (USTP students) to develop helpful solutions related to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals using technologies provided by Google. Find out what transpired during the 30 days of exciting learning and competition.
What is iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022?
The iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest was formerly known as DSC USTP Solutions Week. It’s an event that encourages students of the University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines (USTP) to “develop a solution using technologies that Google currently provides.”
This event is in preparation for the annual Solutions Challenge 2022 of the Google Developer Students club. Participants must solve a problem that aligns with at least one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Moreover, the goal is to “create a sustainable project that can positively impact the chosen community and end-user” of the participants.
The event will host experts in different technological fields who will share their insights, expertise, and impart technical knowledge to prepare the participants during the pitching competition.
The Team Behind GDSC USTP
Google Developer Student Clubs (GDSC) USTP is an “independent, university-based community group for students interested in Google Developer technologies.” It’s an organization where students gather to develop and apply their skills in solving different real-world problems through a peer-to-peer learning environment and in partnership with local businesses and communities.
Currently, it is headed by Alyssa L. Vallejos with moderator Petal May Dal.
iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022 is filled with online technical workshops, mentoring, and webinars for participants. Then, all teams go through two pitching challenges, preliminary and finals, that will decide the overall winners of the competition.
On February 5, 2022, the event commenced with guests such as USTP System President Dr. Ambrosio B. Cultural II, Global Head of Google Developer Community Programs Erica Hanson, and Head of Solutions Mapping at UNDP Accelerator Labs PH Rex Lor.
Then, three webinars and workshops took place with different speakers sharing their knowledge on various topics. This includes Design Thinking, Mobile Dev Using Flutter, UI/UX Designing, Machine Learning, Firebase Extended, and Project Pitching.
There were 9 mentors introduced to participants to help them with their solutions and prepare them for the pitching challenges that follow. Below is the list of the iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022 mentors:
- Raymund Joseph Igdon, Creatives Head (Google Developers Groups CDO)
- Dr. Maria Teresa Fajardo, Director (Extension and Community Relations Division USTP CDO)
- Matthew R. Maulion, Chairperson (Department of Data Science USTP CDO)
- Engr. Aileen Amora-Sieras, MoE, Instructor (Department of Computer Engineerings USTP CDO)
- Ma. Enola Pearlette Bagongon, Research Associate (CDO B.I.T.E.S)(
- Geisha Mae Getuaban, Project Development Officer (CDO B.I.T.E.S)
- Sigfred Tong, System Web Admin (Strategic Communications USTP CDO)
- Engr. Franch Maverick Lorilla, TBI Manager (USTP CDO B.I.T.E.S)
- Engr. Al-Monte Vince Calo, Instructor (Department of Information Technology USTP CDO)
The Prelims and The Final Pitch
After rigorous and learning-filled workshops and webinars, the preliminary round for the pitching competition was held. Then, on March 2, 7 teams were announced to have a spot for the final round of the iNNOVATE Solutions Fest 2022.
The teams were critiqued with regards to their Innovation, Presentation, Sustainability, and Relevance to the 17 SGDs.
These teams are as follows, in no particular order:
- Padayon Car by Team Padayon
- PalitEco by Team Bangan
- Charit-E by Team Ilawtek
- Lapit Kapit by Team Uswag
- Tagbo by Team Pokemoonz
- FreshBox by Team Probox
- G-Tech by Team G-Cycle
Following the Preliminary competition is the Final Pitching competition on March 4, 2022. The final part of the month-long event hosts big-time judges from both the private and public sectors that deal with technology and innovation. The following are the iNNOVATE Solutions Fest 2022 judges:
- Engr. Bronson G. Mabulay, Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation & Director for Innovation & Technology Solutions Division (USTP CDO)
- Engr. Jason Te Occidental, Director of Innovation and Technology Support Office (Ateneo de Davao University)
- Stephanie Caragos, Founder, President & CEO (Syntactics, Inc.)
- Lionel Amarado, Founder & General Manager (Innovuze Solutions, Inc.)
The top 7 teams were given 7 minutes to pitch their solutions to the judges. In addition, the criteria for judging depends on two qualities only: impact and technology.
The day after the rigorous final pitching competition where ideas were studied closely by judges and assessed accordingly, the winners were announced on March 5, 2022 – the end of iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022.
Below is the list of winners.
- CHAMPION – Lapit Kapit by Team Uswag
- 1ST RUNNER UP – PalitEco by Team Bangan
- 2ND RUNNER UP – Charit-E by Team Ilawtek
- BEST VIDEO – PalitEco by Team Bangan
The winners of the event received cash prizes and other certificates.
- CHAMPION – PHP 15,000 cash prize, gold medals, and certificates of recognition
- 1ST RUNNER UP – PHP 3,000 cash prize, silver medals, and certificates of recognition
- 2ND RUNNER UP – PHP 2,000 cash prize, bronze medals, and certificates of recognition
- BEST VIDEO – PHP 400, certificate of recognition
Congratulations to the winners of iNNOVATE: GDSC USTP Solutions Fest 2022!
To find out more about their previous and upcoming events, visit the Google Developer Student Clubs USTP official Facebook page.