Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Electric vehicles have been gaining popularity globally as the world shifts towards sustainable and eco-friendly transportation. The Philippines is no exception, with more and more people opting to go electric in their daily commutes. Among the most popular electric vehicles in the country are mini cars, which offer a range of benefits for their drivers and the environment.
Table of contents
The Rise of Electric Mini Cars in the Philippines
Electric mini cars have been gaining popularity in the Philippines in recent years, with more and more people choosing electric vehicles as their primary mode of transportation. While the exact year or time frame when they became popular is difficult to determine, it is safe to say that the trend started to pick up momentum around 2017-2018. The Philippine government has been supporting the adoption of electric vehicles in the country by offering tax incentives and rebates to EV owners, contributing to the growing popularity of electric mini cars in the Philippines.
What are electric mini cars, and how do they work?
Electric mini cars run solely on electricity and use rechargeable batteries, which can be charged by plugging the car into a charging station or a regular electrical outlet. They have fewer moving parts than gas-powered vehicles, making them cheaper to maintain and more reliable.
They also use regenerative braking to convert energy from the brakes into electricity, reducing the amount of energy needed to recharge the battery. Electric mini cars have a lithium-ion battery pack that powers an electric motor and uses a simple transmission system for smooth acceleration and deceleration.
Types of Electric-Powered Mini Cars in the Philippines.
Here are some of the most popular types of electric mini cars in the Philippines:
- Hatchbacks: Some popular hatchback electric mini cars in the Philippines include the Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
- Sedans: Electric sedans are slightly larger than hatchbacks and offer more space for passengers and cargo. The Tesla Model 3 is a popular electric sedan that is available in the Philippines.
- SUVs: Electric SUVs are larger and offer more space for passengers and cargo. The Mahindra e2o Plus is a popular electric SUV that is available in the Philippines.
- Tricycles: E-trikes are typically used for short trips in urban areas and can carry up to four passengers.
- Mini trucks: The Changan Star 9 is a popular electric mini truck that is available in the Philippines.
Where can you find electric mini cars in the Philippines?
Electric mini cars are becoming more widely available in the Philippines as the demand for eco-friendly vehicles continues to grow. Here are some places where you can find electric mini cars in the Philippines:
- Dealerships: Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Mahindra.
- Online marketplaces: Lazada, Shopee, and Carousell.
- Electric vehicle stores
- Second-hand market
Reasons to switch to an electric mini car in the Philippines
Switching to an electric mini car in the Philippines can bring a range of benefits, including:
- Lower environmental impact: Electric vehicles produce zero emissions while driving, making them an eco-friendly alternative to gas-powered vehicles.
- Electric Car Battery Life: With the recent advancements in EV technology, electric car battery life expectancy has been extended to somewhere between 10-20 years.
- Lower operating costs: Electric vehicles have lower operating costs than gas-powered vehicles because they require less maintenance and fuel.
- Tax incentives and rebates: The Philippine government offers tax incentives and rebates to EV owners, which can help offset the initial cost of purchasing an electric vehicle.
- Quieter and smoother ride: Electric vehicles are quieter and offer smoother acceleration than gas-powered vehicles, providing a more comfortable ride for passengers.
- Convenience of charging at home: With an electric vehicle, you can charge at home using a regular electrical outlet or a charging station, making it more convenient than having to stop at a gas station.
Tips to Keep in Mind
When exploring the benefits of going electric with mini cars in the Philippines, there are some tips to keep in mind. Firstly, it’s important to research different brands and models of electric mini cars to find one that meets your specific needs and budget.
Additionally, make sure there are charging stations available in your area, or consider installing a charging station at your home or workplace. Electric mini cars may have a higher upfront cost, but they can save you money on fuel and maintenance expenses in the long run, so it’s worth looking for cost savings.
Lastly, the Philippine government offers incentives and discounts for electric vehicle purchases, so make sure to check if you qualify for any of these programs. By keeping these tips in mind, you can make an informed decision about switching to an electric mini car and enjoy the many benefits of eco-friendly and cost-effective transportation. –WhatALife!/Jayve